Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Holly Wood...the Tree...

I ended up doing several interviews for the Iranian media. This one fellow had asked if I would do something for TV while at the Film Festival, and Bahram was interpreting.

First question off camera to prepare was..."Tell us about the Holly Trees." I'm looking at Bahram, figuring that somehow this has been translated incorrectly. He then explains the guy wants to know about the Holly Trees and have I ever seen any of these in Hollywood....OK...

I politely explained that there are no Holly Trees in Southern California...and Hollywood was not named after a tree...Bahram translated and the guy eyed me suspiciously with a look of disbelief!

So a moment later with cameras rolling, the first question was..."Tell us about the Holly Trees." This time I went through the history of Hollywoodland, the subdivision that gave Hollywood it's name.

In hindsight...maybe I should have come up with a really good story about the Holly Trees!

1 comment:

  1. Funny how things get lost in translation...I remember taking a French domestic airlines one time from Paris to Nice...the bulkhead had a sign on it which in French said :Toilettes en arriere"(toilets in the back) but under that in English it said:"Toilets After" I turned to this gorgeous fashion model sitting next to me and explained to her what it said in English and asked her:"Toilets after what? After we take off? After we land?" She started laughing and by the time we landed we had become pals... ;o)

    ReplyDelete